Cranberries are one of my favorite things about the holiday season. Once cranberries are on the store shelves you can find me stocking up and prepping my kitchen for all sorts of cranberry goodness. While I do love your classic, homemade cranberry sauce, I am also a big fan of this Cranberry Jalapeño Cream Cheese Dip as a not so sweet alternative to all the other cranberry dishes you might find out there.
I first tried this dip a few years ago when my mother in law made it for a Christmas party, or get together of some sort. This appetizer is a classic for Christmas parties because it is has your classic Christmas colors: red, green, and white. And cranberries are always a festive touch during the holiday season. I have since jazzed this recipe up with a Ship’s HQ spin. Keep reading for more!
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I may earn a small commission if you purchase something from a link provided in this post. Ship’s HQ appreciates your support and thanks you!
Did you know that cranberries are also healthy for you?
Here are a few health benefits and reasons why you should add more cranberry dishes to your menu this season:
- Keeps Urinary Tract Healthy
- Boosts Oral Health (by preventing bacteria from binding to the surface of your teeth)
- Cancer Protection (high in antioxidants and quercetin which can inhibit the development of some cancers)
- Good for Your Heart
- Immune System Booster (high in Vitamin C)
- Good for Eye Health
Okay, so hopefully if you’re reading this you already love cranberries and don’t need your arm to be twisted to add more to your diet. Here is the recipe that I’ve adapted from one that I initially found on the internet. I’ve made it a little healthier by cutting out refined sugar and have added a little more depth to the cream cheese base.
And before you head out to your next holiday get together, be sure to have your digestive enzymes. My favorite is VeganZyme
Cranberry Jalapeño Cream Cheese Dip
Cranberry Jalapeño Cream Cheese Dip
- Stand Mixer (for whipping cream cheese)
- Serving Dish
- 1 12 oz. Bag Whole Fresh Cranberries (Organic Preferable)
- 1 Jalapeño pepper, seeded & finely chopped
- 3 Green Onions Chopped
- 1/8 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/3 Cup Coconut Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp chili powder
- 1/2 Lemon Juice (approxamately 2 TBSP)
- 16 Oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 Cup Cabot Extra Sharp White Cheddar, grated
- Few Shakes Garlic Powder
- Chop Cranberries in a food processor until they are finely minced (but not a liquid).
- Place chopped cranberries in a medium bowl. Stir in sugar, chili powder, jalapeños, green onion, cilantro, and lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate for at least a couple hours (up to overnight) so flavors can incorporate.
- Meanwhile, in your KitchenAid stand mixer with the paddle attachment, whip your softened cream cheese with the cheddar, and add 2-3 shakes of garlic powder.
- Spread cream cheese in the bottom of a serving dish (or pie plate). Refrigerate until ready to serve, or if ready to serve, top with cranberry mixture.
- Serve right away, or cover and store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
What to serve it with?
If you want to make sure to get all the flavors of this dip, you’ll need a large, sturdy cracker. I love the gluten-free Almond Thins, and if you’re okay with a little gluten, I also love those large, multigrain crackers that go great on charcuterie boards. This dip is also delicious on toasted crostini’s.
Have Some Wine With That?
If you don’t know by now, enjoying some wine with delicious appetizers is one of my favorite things to do. The other apps available, and what time this dish is being served might determine what kind of wine I drink with this app. If this Cranberry Jalapeño Dip is being served in the evening, I would go with a nice, bold red like a Burgundy, or Pinot Noir. If it is served in the morning, or mid afternoon for a brunch get together, a Champagne, Rose, or other sparkling wine would be a nice pair as well.
Don’t want to commit to just one wine with your apps? Enjoy an at home Napa Tasting experience from the comfort of your home with a flight of some of One Hope’s best selling wines, or check out their mini selection to share a wider variety with your guests.
Sip with a purpose knowing that One Hope gives back with every bottle sold to organizations that provide access to clean water, hunger relief, health research, and education (or to your charity of choice! Ask me how, or send me a DM @ShipsHQ on instagram.)
SHOP ONE HOPE WINES HERE
What are your favorite cranberry dishes to make during the holiday season? Drop a comment and let me know!