Looking for a quick and healthy meal to add to your dinner repertoire? This recipe tastes almost like a delicious tomato vodka, but minus the heavy whipping cream and vodka. It also has spinach thrown in for added nutrition!
I love pasta, and although I love the cheesy, buttery, rich, and creamy pastas, I am always looking for healthier alternatives to serve to my family. This recipe is creamy and savory, but on the lighter side, as it uses cream cheese to give the pasta its creaminess, and only uses a little bit of cheese in the actual sauce. Don’t worry though, you can always add more cheese to your pasta once it’s ready to serve if you’re a cheese head, like me!
Disclaimer: If you purchase something from a link provided in this post, I may earn a small commission from your purchase. Headquarters by Ship appreciates your support and thanks you!
Now when I made this, I made it sans grilled chicken (we were pressed for time, or we would have added a protein to the meal), and sans red pepper flakes. I have a two year old, and while she does like some spicy things, it’s always safer to leave out the spice just in case.
The great thing about most pasta dishes though, is that you can really add all sorts of stuff to mix up the dish, and it would taste delicious. I might try this recipe in the future with some artichokes, or zucchini. Speaking of zucchini, you could also sub the pasta for zoodles, or you could use gluten free pasta instead of regular.
CREAMY TOMATO SPINACH PASTA
- 1 lb. Box Pasta (I used Rotini, but if you have something else on hand, feel free to substitute)
- 1 Onion, Chopped
- 4-5 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 can Organic Diced Tomatoes
- 1/2 Cup Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Chicken Broth
- 4 oz. Cream Cheese
- 1/2 Cup grated parmesan (plus additional for topping)
- 4 cups (at least) Organic Spinach, Chopped
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Olive Oil
- Grilled Chicken (optional to toss in)
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes (optional if you want to spice it up a little)
- Get all your ingredients out and start prepping your food (grate cheese, chop onions, garlic, spinach, etc.)
- In a large pot (I used my Dutch Oven), sauté garlic and onions in a little olive oil until onions are translucent.
- Add your diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and chicken broth, and let simmer for a few. Salt and pepper sauce to taste (and add red pepper flakes if desired).
- While sauce is simmering get your water boiling to cook pasta al dente in another pot.
- While pasta is cooking add your cream cheese, and stir until it has melted thoroughly into the sauce, then add your parmesan and stir into sauce as well.
- Just before the pasta is about done, add your chopped spinach and stir into the sauce until it is cooked down.
- When your pasta is done, drain, and toss into your sauce. Add grilled chicken if desired, and top with fresh basil and your freshly grated parmesan cheese.
HERE IS THE RECIPE IN PDF.
GET YOUR KITCHEN ESSENTIALS HERE:
Sharing is caring! Make sure you Pin this recipe so you don’t have to search for it later. Tried this recipe? Leave a comment and let me know what you think!