One of the things I love most about summer is an endless supply of tomatoes and basil from my garden. A go-to appetizer in my house (okay, sometimes I make a whole meal out of it) is caprese salad! It is so easy to throw this together for just a few people or to make for a big party. I could literally eat this stuff every day it is so delicious.
Disclaimer: If you purchase something from a link provided in this post, I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Headquarters by Ship appreciates your support and thanks you!
Did you know that caprese salad originated in the Isle of Capri in the Campania region in the 1950’s? If you can’t go to Italy for the real thing, here is how to make it at home.
What you need:
- Fresh tomatoes
- Fresh basil
- Mozzarella (a ball or log depending on how much you are making)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
- McCormick Italian Seasoning (with the grinder), or fresh ground black pepper
What to do:
- Wash your tomatoes and basil
- Slice your tomatoes and mozzarella and get ready to assemble!
- Start with your tomatoes and layer a slice of tomato, basil leaf, and put the mozzarella on top (some put the basil on top, but I like the mozzarella on top because it helps hold everything together when you’re eating it)
- Drizzle your delicious trifecta with a little bit of olive oil and balsamic vinegar
- Top with a light sprinkle of McCormick Italian Seasoning or fresh ground black pepper
Tried this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a comment! And be sure to subscribe to Ship’s HQ so you get all my recipes straight to your inbox!